All family visas – except those in the spouse, prospective marriage and interdependent subclasses – result in the grant of permanent residence. These visa types initially result in a ‘provisional’ two year visa. Once this two year period expires, DIMA requires evidence that the relationship is still genuine and ongoing. Applicants who are able to provide this information then receive full permanent residence. Note that during this provisional period, you have full work rights and access to Medicare.

Benefits of permanent residence include access to Medicare and the ability to seek employment without any restrictions. Once the permanent residence visa is granted, it is evidenced by way of a visa label which is placed in your passport. This visa is valid for a period of five years and entitles you to enter and stay in Australia. After the initial visa has expired, if you wish to continue to travel to and from Australia as a permanent resident, you must obtain a Resident Return Visa (RRV). In order to qualify for a RRV, you must meet certain periods of residence in Australia or alternatively you may opt to apply for Australian citizenship if you can satisfy the relevant residency requirements.

Australia’s family migration scheme is designed to allow people to migrate to Australia to join family members already living here as permanent residents or Australian citizens. A person who qualifies to migrate to Australia may include their family unit in their Visa. Normally the Australian relative must sign and lodge sponsorship papers with the Australian Government. We provide the following brief summary of the types of migration Visas available to people with family members living in Australia as permanent residents or Australian citizens:

Spouse : An Australian or New Zealand permanent resident or citizen may sponsor a foreigner to obtain permanent residence in Australia as their spouse. Legal marriages and de-facto marriages are considered.

Child : An Australian relative may sponsor a child who is dependant upon them to become a permanent resident of Australia. Children aged over eighteen years are considered. Etc…